In 1950, Bangor and Aroostook commissioned Magor Car Company to build 300
insulated heated plug-door boxcars for potato service. An
additional 150 cars were ordered from Pacific Car & Foundry in 1953.
The cars were equipped with ventilators and charcoal heaters. New
Haven piggybacked an order of 100 cars with the PC&F lot and
factory-decorated its cars in the State of Maine scheme to save
money on the purchase. The cars carried potatos in the winter and
paper products in the summer.
The model is injection molded plastic with etched brass roofwalk and brake platform. These cars ride at the prototypically-correct height above the rails, on friction-bearing trucks fitted with low-profile wheelsets. The model is equipped with body-mounted Micro-Trains® #1015 couplers, Bettendorf trucks and plastic wheels, or Micro-Trains compatible knuckle couplers, Trainworx ASF A-3 trucks and Fox Valley metal wheels as specified.
Also available are the following associated products:
• Trainworx Inc - American Steel Foundries 70-ton A-3 trucks.
These products are not toys and are not recommended for children under 14 years of age.
#2250 - Magor/PC&F XIH Boxcar